Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Gloryland Way

For as long as I can remember I have always loved songs that spoke of heaven in terms of crossing the Jordan and reaching the Canaan land. I remember W.A Turner, the patriarch of the family of the best singers in our church when I was a kid, leading the congregation in singing songs like “Just Over in the Gloryland”, “Home of the Soul”, and “The Paradise Valley.”

These songs were written by and are most popular with the generations who lived through the last days of Reconstruction, both World Wars, the Dust Bowl, and the Great Depression. Then they saw their kids and grandkids go off to Vietnam or to off the big city where they seemed to reject the way they were raised and the God of their fathers.
Songs like these weren’t written as direct praise to God, but they were songs written to encourage each other, to remind themselves that though this life is hard we have a new life in Jesus, and that when we cross over Jordan there won’t be any more valley of the shadow of death, but only those green pastures.

Some people (some TOTP readers) are glad that those songs have faded in popularity and are just gathering dust in the old songbooks. That’s fine. I understand that most people today can’t relate to them, that many aren’t “missional”, the music is too hillbilly, and that some of them are theologically flawed. I’m glad that churches are embracing new music and that folks like Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, and Mark Hall are writing relevant and singable songs of praise for the church of today.
But there are days in my life when I need those old songs and I often lean on them to get me through those days. They remind me of my heritage of faith and that the day may be difficult, but “I’m Camping Toward Canaan Land” “Where the Soul Never Dies” and “I Know Who Holds Tomorrow.”

Below is Ralph Stanley singing “Gloryland”. Give it a listen. I hope it encourages you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7yEb-yC4zY

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing back the memories. It is a shame that these songs are more prominent in memory than in the present. In fact, that's one of the things I loved about singing at the nursing home in college. It was a chance to sing the songs in the present tense, rather than in a memory or singing of what can feel like a distant future.

Sheila

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.