Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Springfield Isotopes and Jesus

I've been wrestling with this in my mind since the World Series last fall....

The Springfield Isotopes make it to the World Series.
Your co-worker shows up with a new Isotopes shirt, hat, and bumper sticker.
You say, "I didn't know you were an Isotopes fan."
"Oh yeah, man.  I've been a huge fan for years."
"Really?  I've never heard you mention them before."
"Well, I am."
Another co-worker shows up wearing the same Isotopes hat he was wearing when you met him ten years ago.  You know he's an Isotopes fan.  They're all he ever talks about, even in the off-season.  He spends his vacation going to spring training.  His kids are named after his favorite Isotope players.  He gets up early to study their box scores every morning.
He sees the other guy with his new gear and bristles.
"Fair weather fan, huh?  You don't deserve to wear our stuff!  Where were you when we were at the bottom?  Where were you when we couldn't buy a win?"  (Real fans always refer to their team with words like "we" and "our".)
Another guy walks in wearing a Yankee cap and Mr. Realfan turns on him. 
"You're from Springfield!  Why are you wearing a Yankee cap?"
"Because I like them, I was born in New York."
"Yeah, but you live in Springfield now. Everyone here should be an Isotopes fan."
"So you can make fun of us for being fair weather fans?" you ask. 

I'm going to take a cue from my uncle's blog today and not offer any of my own conclusions, but rather put forth some questions and invite you to respond as you will.

1. How do the un-churched feel when they visit your church?
2. Are you bothered by heathens celebrating Christmas?
3. Do you think the owners of the Springfield Isotopes are bothered when "fair weather fans" buy what they are selling?

No comments:

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.