Friday, November 6, 2009

Friday Morning

After a month of working only 3 or 4 times a week as a switchman in the freight yard I've been back working on the road at a frantic pace for these last three weeks and haven't spent much time near the computer(or home). But this morning I'm at the hotel in Ft Worth with no wife to wrestle, kids to pester, breakfast to cook, or fish to catch and thought I'd sit down and doodle on this keyboard in the "business center." I know doodling is not the right word, but what do you call it when it's a keyboard instead of a pen?

More work means more money but less fishing time. Some would call that a catch 22, but I don't. I've never read the book, so I don't feel that I should just borrow its title because I think I know what it means. I also don't know why people call trash cans, "File 13". It's kind of annoying, but I'm easily annoyed. I also don't like the phrase, "We've been playing phone tag."

Among the books I've never read, but plan to read: Catch 22, Moby Dick, Swiss Family Robinson

I've been reading Ted Dekker's Books of History over the last few weeks. I've read Saint, Black, Red, and Showdown in that order. I plan on reading White next, then Sinner and Green. He is a fantastic storyteller. His books are fiction, yet full of truth.

Woody came down last weekend for a fishing adventure. He had to leave after lunch on Saturday, so we left the house at 3:30 to allow for a full morning of fishing.
4:00 am..42 degrees..full moon --We ran about 3 miles across the lake, caught bait, put out some jugs. We were going to crank up and go to a different spot to rod and reel fish, but my motor wouldn't start. I've had the motor for almost a year and never had any trouble with it. We made the most of a bad situation and ate our breakfast of vienna sausages, Fritos, and bean dip. We fished where we were for the rest of the morning but only caught a couple. I had a full charge on the trolling moter battery so we made it to another park. My dear wife came to our rescue and then we had lunch at the Mexican joint.
A few days ago I had the time to do some tinkering (I am not a mechanic) and changed out the spark plugs and lower unit oil. I took it to the ramp for a test and it fired up on the first pull. Ran better than ever.

Annie say's "I do!" whenever someone asks a Who wants... question. She has the best little girl voice. Makes me smile. She can walk up my legs while holding my hands and do those flips now too.

We don't have any guests lined up for Thanksgiving, so I'm extending the invite to all of you TOTP readers. RSVP in the comments section.

I'll post again soon. On the merits of country music.
Until then... "Grab your partner, pat her on the head. If she don't like biscuits, feed her cornbread."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the reference to "Stay All Night, Stay A Little Longer"! Maybe that will be on Lone Prairie's next CD...hmmm. ;)

Anonymous said...

Your breakfast made my stomach turn.

Sister

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.