Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fruit Leather

Last week was busy, but I ended up not working on Saturday and Sunday.  Yesterday morning I caught a local and was home in time for supper.  Three nights in a row at home.  It’s been nice.

When I was getting ready to go to work yesterday morning I opened the pantry to pack my lunch and saw that Leslie had bought a couple of boxes of Fruit Roll-Ups.  I hadn’t had one in a lot of years and it brought back a good memory.
Fruit Roll-Ups hit American markets in the 80’s.  They were a hit with kids all over America, including me, my sister, and our cousins.  When we were at my grandparents house one summer she informed us that Fruit Roll-Ups were just an updated version of fruit leather and that they used to make it all the time.  
She didn’t just tell us about it.  She showed us.  She happened to have an abundance of apricots from the tree on the west side of the house.  She peeled, pitted, and pureed them into a delicious mush and spread it onto waxed paper, then put it in the huge dehydrator (an old Ford LTD? that wasn’t running) out in the yard.  
The result was better than what was being marketed to us on TV and it seemed there was a limitless supply.  



I enjoyed my Fruit-Roll Up yesterday.  It was delicious, but I enjoyed remembering even more.
I hope that someday the Lord will bless me with a place to grow some fruit trees and the chance to show my kids the joys of fruit leather.

2 comments:

shybrn said...

Thanks for posting. It brings back fond memories. I'll share with your Grandma Wilhoit. She will be delighted to reminiscence.

Sheila said...

Last summer I would push the stroller by a neighbor's tree loaded with apricots. When I noticed they were just letting them fall to the ground and rot, I asked if I could have them. They said yes and I made fruit leather. I didn't have access to an immobile car so I had to be patient. It was worth the wait and the same fun memories. I even put some in the freezer for later like Grandma would.

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.