Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Song of the Week

From a classic hymn to a shoutin' song.  As much as I admire the beauty of hymns, I love to sing shoutin' songs.  Songs from early rural America, rooted in Scotch-Irish fiddling folk songs, usually filled with lyrics full of the hope of heaven. 
I've been reading a book that I bought at a garage sale last month entitled "Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach.  It's different from the kinds of things I usually read, but it is very interesting.  All about what happens to our bodies when we die.  How they decompose, what happens to bodies donated to science, what people have done to cadavers throughout history in the name of science and just out of lunacy.
How does this relate to the song of the week?  Spending time reading this book has put the classic shoutin' song "I'll Have A New Body" in my head.  It's presented to you here in a live recording of Hank Williams accompanied by the Driftin' Cowboys and his wife Audry.

"....So also is the resurrection of the dead.  It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
it is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness; it us raised in power.  
It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body......
...So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
O death, where is thy sting?  O grave, where is they victory?" 
I Corinthians 15

2 comments:

Sheila said...

You're the widest reader I know.

Justin said...

I've got a 34" waist. I know some big ol' gals that are twice as wide as me.

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.