Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Commandment #5


There are things that I knew about parenthood before I was a parent, but my understanding of those things has deepened and been colored by emotion now that I am one.

Jones loves to swing, but has always needed someone to push her. Then a few weeks ago she finally figured out how to keep herself going by pumping her legs, but she still needed someone to get her started with a push. One day last week we went to the backyard and I tried to show her how to get herself started. That experiement ended with her crying and running into the house saying, "I don't want to learn! I just want you to push me!" I guess she reconsidered and, without any further instruction from me, she can now get started and keep going all by herself.

In much the same way that marriage has opened my eyes and understanding to the covenant relationship Jesus desires with His bride, the church, having children has done the same for my understanding of the Father's relationship with us as His children.

It makes me sad that Jonesy will never again need me to push her in the swing, that that part of her life is over. It makes me realize that this life is fleeting. That our years are but a breath.

I don't want to dwell on it too long though because soon she's going to need me to push her on her bicycle.

No comments:

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.