Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My own comments continued from the comments section.....

There is a black guy I work with, from West Texas, with pre-school age children, goes to a church of Christ... but I'd bet that if the HR dept. of BNSF got on a train with us and took our picture, they would use it on one of their diversity posters. It's the ridiculous that leaves me incredulous.

Regarding our most recent Supreme Court nominee. Whether for or against, and even from those who say it doesn't matter, there has been a lot of hype about her "latina" heritage, but think about this:
Justice Scalia, a conservative nominated by Reagan, is actually more "Latin" than Sotowhatshername. His dad came here from Sicily. He's only one generation removed from being from the birthplace of "Latin", yet there was none of this diversity hype about his nomination. Her parents were from Puerto Rico, an American territory. I would venture a guess that her European (Latin) anscestors came over here from Spain more than 200 years ago.
In our political world, if you're grandma cooks lasagna from the old country you're just an old white guy, but if your grandma makes fresh tortillas in the morning then you are a treasure of political diversity.

***Those of you who would rather look at picures of fish or our kids than read about what's making me mad this week stay tuned. I promise we'll have some pictures soon.***

2 comments:

The Northrups said...

That whole issue is absolutely annoying. I follow you there.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog because you always seem to say the things that I would like to say, but refrain from. I'm absolutely with you on this!

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.