Monday, June 15, 2009

Signs

I passed a church sign today that said, "Do your best and let God do the rest."
I love the American work ethic, at least pre-O'Bama American work ethic, but there are times that I think it has flawed our theology. Many of us grew up hearing the gospel of this sign. The message was something like, "Try to be as perfect as you can. It is understood that you may only be 80% perfect, but if you try hard enough God will cover you for that other 20%.
I believe our lives as Christians should be in response to what God has done for us through the Christ rather than an effort to earn the sacrifice He made.
If they'd let me edit that sign I would change it to something like, "God has given all and done it all, so give Him your best."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice point. Maybe you should become a church sign writer; just as long as you don't write any of those ones that are supposed to be things that God is saying to us (i.e. "I don't take your name in vain."). I really can't stand those and think the person who came up with that idea in the first place should be stoned (in the biblical sense, that is).

Justin said...

I had a sign job one time. I got in trouble for "It's sad to see and Indian in a cowboy hat." Someone got offended. I quit.

LisaN said...

Big amen to this one!!

The Northrups said...

If I could fix the sign (it bothers me too, buy the way), it would say "walk in the Spirit and let God do it all". ;-)

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.