Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hymn of the Week

 hymn  (hm)n.
1. A song of praise or thanksgiving to God.
2. A song of praise or joy
Middle English ymne, from Old English ymen, from Latin hymnus song of praise, from Greek hymnos

I've been thinking about the beauty of hymns lately.  Wishing we sang more of them at church and wishing that I had the skill to write them.  I was talking to Nathan about this during our fishing adventure and we landed on this one.  David Crowder Band's interpretation of "O For a Thousand Tongues" by the great hymn writer Charles Wesley.
O For a Thousand Tongues
O for a thousand tongues to sing 
my great Redeemer's praise,
the glories of my God and King,
the triumphs of his grace!
 
My gracious Master and my God,
assist me to proclaim,
to spread through all the earth abroad
the honors of thy name.
 
Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
that bids our sorrows cease;
'tis music in the sinner's ears,
'tis life, and health, and peace.
 
He breaks the power of canceled sin,
he sets the prisoner free;
his blood can make the foulest clean;
his blood availed for me.

No comments:

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.