Sunday, January 8, 2012

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

As you read this, please understand that I'm not trying to make a point.  Not trying to sway your politics.  I am often quick to form opinions about things, but my mind is running cirlcles right now and I'm just sharing the burden of my thoughts.
I saw something yesterday that disturbed me.  It has interrupted my thoughts every waking hour since I saw it.
On the south side of Ft Worth there is an abortion clinic near the railroad tracks.  I'm sure there is one in your town, though you may not realize what it is.  They are usually nondescript, inconspicuous buildings with no windows.  They usually don't have much in the way of signage other than a small sign by the door that says Women's Clinic or something to that effect. 
I've been by this particular clinic hundreds of times.  Occasionally there are quiet protesters across the street sitting in prayer.  Sometimes they have signs that say God Loves You and Your Baby, or You Have Another Choice, etc...  Sometimes there are protesters protesting against the protesters, but I've never witnessed any confrontations, chanting, yelling, or signs with hateful or condemning language from either side of the issue.
As I was bringing my train by there yesterday, I looked over and saw that the clinic had displayed a banner, the type that you'd see at a car dealership or furniture store announcing their current sale.  It was about 5' X 10', each corner secured to the building by a piece of rope.
It proclaimed, "Good Women Have Abortions".
I hadn't seen or heard this before, but it must be a popular slogan now because I found this picture online of a sign that looks just like the one I saw yesterday.
It unsettled me.
My mind has been disturbed by what those four words are saying.
Does it mean that to be good, a woman must have an abortion?
Is it an if-then statement?  If good women have abortions, then those who carry their babies to term and deliver them are bad?
Does it mean that those who are pro-life have sent a message to those who are not that points a finger and says, "Because of what you are choosing there is no good in you!"?  So do they feel the need to proclaim in self-defense that they are good?
I've thought about how precious my children are to me and how Leslie and I have rejoiced with every pregnancy.
I've thought of those who long and ache to be able to conceive, but have been unable.
I thought of my co-worker who was relieved and rejoiced that the woman he left his wife for had miscarried because he didn't really love her and didn't want the burden of a child to connect him to her.
I thought of Jesus telling the woman caught in adultery, "Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more."
I thought of St. Paul's letter to the Romans in which he said, "...God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
I've thought of how we live in a broken and cursed world in need of redemtion and resurrection.
I've thought about how there is good and bad in all of us, but no matter how bad or how good we are.....
What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin.  As it is written:
“There is no one righteous, not even one; 
there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. 
All have turned away, they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good, not even one.” 

“Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit.”
“The poison of vipers is on their lips.”  

“Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”
“Their feet are swift to shed blood;
  ruin and misery mark their ways, and the way of peace they do not know.”
  “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
   Romans 3:9-18
The they is them and it is us.
It is you and it is me. 
Standing in need of a savior.

No comments:

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.