Tuesday, January 3, 2012

And As We Begin 2012....

I am glad to be done with 2011.  I had some good times, caught some fish, enjoyed my children and my wife, but it was also a year of tragedy, death, illness, broken marriages, and hurt for many who are dear to us.
Just because I can turn the page on my calendar doesn't mean that the pain from 2011 will end, but I do think that fresh starts are refreshing, a time to take a big breath and let it all go.  Then take another deep breath and let it all go.  Then take another deep breath. And hold it.  And feel hungry in a way that seems strange...
No, I'm not going to start smoking pot.
Until the summer of 2036.
 
The hardest part of 2011 was that while so many folks around me were going through the valley of the shadow, my little family had a great year.  I know that our time of trials is coming someday.  My personal resolution for 2012 is to continually root myself firmly in the Immoveable I Am. 
Our dear friend, Latayne, had this to say in response to the many comments and compliments about her faith as her husband, Dan, the greatest showman I know, has battled Guillain Barre Syndrome over the last month:

"Many, many of you have commented on my faith through this. I am honored by what you say. But I want to make it clear that what you are seeing is not personal strength nor a feature of my puny character. What you are seeing is a person who has been prepared by reading and believing God’s Word. When the storm came, I held onto that. Anybody can do that. You don’t have to be strong in a hurricane if you are attached to something immoveable.
When I wrote my book *The Hinge of Your History: The Phases of Faith,* I wondered if my strong assertions in that book would be put to the test. I have found what I said in peacetime to be true as well in the heat of battle. What Dan and I and all who love him are experiencing is a feature of the structure of faith: Promise, Contradiction and Resolution.
We are in Phase Two, and we know what to do. We know Who is holding onto us in this hurricane.
I urge you, if you do not have that knowledge and that foundation, now is the time! Do not wait until the flames of the furnace are at your feet.
“Put on the full armor of God”—truth, righteousness (from God), readiness that comes from the gospel of peace, faith, salvation, and the Spirit’s own sword of battle, God’s Word– so that “when the day of such evil comes, you will be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.”
 

And yes, the rumors are true.  Fertile Myrtle and Potent Pete (aka Leslie and I) are expecting our fifth child sometime around the end of July.  We're honored that the Lord has seen fit to bless us with our children and entrust them to our care.  They are our joy and delight. 
We covet your prayers for our family and this pregnancy, as well as for those whom we love still hurting and recovering from the trials of the last year.

I'll post my 2012 resolutions for Time of the Preacher soon.  I came through on 3.5 of last year's 6 resolutions .  Pretty good for a batting average, not so hot as a free throw percentage. 


 

3 comments:

LisaN said...

Wahoo and congratulations!!! I was wondering when this news would come. So very excited for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! You guys make beautiful children!

Latayne C Scott said...

I am so happy for you. Your quiver is getting full! And thank you for the kind mention of Dan's troubles. Would love prayers from all your readers for him.

Love you guys, Latayne

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.