Friday, January 6, 2012

Time of the Preacher Resolutions for 2012

1. Be less abrasive in my writing. As I was recently advised, "If they don't know you personally, it may be hard for them to reconcile what you write in one post with what you write in the next." This one also made my personal day to day resolution list.

2. Do a short review of each book I read. This is a retry-resolution, but one that I'd really like accomplish this year.

3. Do another week-on-the-railroad post. Another re-resolution.

4. Record more of what my children say and do. They change so quickly and I forget too much.

5. Write about the past. Record memories from years gone by. Some of you might have to help me with accuracy.

How I Did With Time of the Preacher Resolutions for 2011

1.  Now that I have a laptop to take on the road with me, I resolve to not have extended lapses between posts.
Extended Lapses? I think it's a relative term so I'll give myself a pass on this one.  I did use my hotel time to write quite a bit, but I also spent most of the year on the extra board so I didn't stay out of town as much as I have in the past.
2.  I’ve decided to join facebook as a way of increasing traffic here at TOTP.
I heard the other day that facebk is now worth $50 billion.  When I went to the facebook site to check it out, I saw that they have a slogan:  “It’s free, and always will be.”  Then I started thinking.

With advertising revenue down and most subscribers more than six months behind in their subscription payments, I’ve decided to offer Time of the Preacher free to the public.  It is my hope that by joining forces with facebk, TOTP traffic will increase leading to increases in advertising revenue.  I plan to eventually be bought out by gougle or yahou.  Then I’m going to retire and move to Mexico.

I did join facebook.  Finally reached a total of 100 friends shortly before the end of the year.  Advertising revenue has remained flat.  Alas, no offers to buy me out yet and probably won't be anytime soon.  I'd be a public relations nightmare anyway.
Like many of you I have a lot of opinions about facebook.  I won't share those here, but as it relates to blogging, I like it better than I thought I would.  I was a little disappointed when so many bloggers quit blogging after they joined facebook.  I can understand their logic in doing so, but I found that being able to share new posts via facebook removed the pressure of having to post frequently enough so that readers didn't get tired of checking the site everyday and finding nothing new.
3.  I’m going to keep a record of the books I read and try to do a review of each one.  I’ve intended to do this in the past, but I’m going to resolve rather than intend it this time, so hopefully it will get done.
Nope.  Didn't happen.  My normal pace is to read a book or two a week.  That should have been at least 52 book reviews.  I think I did less than 5.  I'm going to re-resolve on this one though.
4.  I’m going to document a week of life on the railroad with as much detail as I can.  It is it’s own micro-culture and is a hard thing to explain.  I think if I can document a full week, then perhaps my friends and family will understand why I don’t know if I’ll be there tomorrow, but I fish a lot in the middle of the week.  
I did this.  If you missed it you can check it out here. 
5.  I’m going to take requests.  I’ve done this a time or two and am already working on the first one of 2011 (see the comments section from the Jan 1st post), but I’m going to open it up to all of you now.  If you have a request for an article you can email me or leave it in the comments section.
I responded to the handful of requests received.  I learned that it's not wise to resolve to do something that requires initiation by other people, so I won't resolve this one again, but I will still take requests.  Anything you'd like for me to write about?  You can leave a comment or email me at justinwilhoit@yahoo.com 
By the way, for those of you who have thought about commenting on a post but haven't because you don't want others to see it or you want to remain anonymous, I moderate all comments before they are posted for all to see. Just include your desire for that in your comment. 
6.  I resolve to resume the reader profiles that I started last year.
Big F on this one.  

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you did pretty well overall. I'll say that your list of resolutions from 2011 was longer than most people's resolution lists are and definitely more in depth so that counts for something too. Good luck in 2012!

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.