Wednesday, April 18, 2012

christian as an adjective???

 As I've shared with you before, I believe words are important.  I believe names are important.  A few thoughts that may leave some of you scratching your heads and some of you saying amen.....

-Recently several preacher types to whom I subscribe, Andy Stanley, Voddie Baucham, Given O. Blakely, and Scott Meyer, all of whom are very different in their style, denominational background, and ministry roles  have been hitting on the idea of contrasting what it means to be a Christian versus what it means to be a disciple, a Christ-follower.

-A few weeks ago Jonesy mentioned the name of one of her favorite singers to someone.  That person was unfamiliar with the artist and asked if it was Christian music.  Jones responded with a look of confusion.  I knew what the person was asking, but to Jonesy it was a strange question because she hasn't yet learned to use the word christian to describe things and I kind of hope she never does.

-When Carrie Underwood sang her wonderful rendition of "How Great Thou Art" she was a country singer singing a christian song.  When Chris August sings "I Want You Back" he's a christian singer singing a Motown song.  When there was so much Jesus and Gospel talk at Whitney Houston's funeral it made both  Hollywood and Christians uncomfortable.

-I'm a talk radio junkie, and it seems everyday I hear someone say (with the utmost sincerity and passion), "We need to get back to being a Christian nation." I wince every time I hear it.  I'm afraid that what they are pleading for is not that our citizens and our government officials become disciples of Jesus, but that the citizens of our nation would change their behavior to conform to a standard inspired by Judeo-Christian ethics. They seem less concerned with winning hearts and minds for the Kingdom of God through evangelism, love, and charity (read real charity, not govt. welfare), than they do with passing laws that outlaw or require certain behaviors to make the kingdom of the U.S.A a better place to live.
Many will claim that the U.S.A was founded as a christian nation.  To that I say no, it wasn't, but it was founded by Christians.

I believe that to use the word christian as an adjective is to cheapen the work of Christ into a behavior modification plan.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Justin. I’ve been reading N.T. Wright lately and he has a lot to say about the Kingdom of God. When we say “Jesus is Lord” it also means Caesar is not, and the U.S Constitution is not, and American Christianity is not. In too many ways the government is the Church of America. We have allowed the government to assume the role of the church and Christianity has become a personal affair, kept safely away from public view. I like to ask, “What’s the difference between a good Buddhist and a good Christian?”

Fayegan said...

Amen

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.