Sunday, January 11, 2009

It could be worse if I was on an Army TOD for 6 months

I've bumped onto a job that works out of Sweetwater. Still working toward Temple and back so I get to see my females every couple of days. I'll be splitting time staying with John and Sheila in Abilene and my folks in San Angelo. Hopefully next week the girls will come to mom and dad's for a few days.
I could still hold a switchman's job in Temple, but it would have cut our take home income by at least 25%. And the way things are going, we decided to make as much money as we can while we can because if things continue to get worse for the railroad, I might not be able to hold Sweetwater or that switchman's job back home. We also decided that the stress of being apart was probably <= the stress of the reduction in pay and all that would entail. We'll still get to see each other about every other day, just not for very long at a time unless they come to Abilene or Angelo for a few days.
So....I asked for responses to a previous post and got ONE. Yes, I value your opinions, but I also wanted to see if anyone was really out there reading this stuff. So, I'm again asking for your reactions. Do you think we should have taken the cut in pay so that I would be home everyday, or do you agree that we should have maintained/increased our income level? Please respond in the comments section.
For those of you who don't want to reveal your identities for whatever reason, you can comment anonymously.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should work in higher ed. That wasn't one of the choices, but that's my comment.

Anonymous said...

If working out of Sweetwater gives Jazbo and Mimi extra time with the granddaughters then it was the right decision.

Anonymous said...

Clearly, your sister and brother-in-law must be tremendous people.

The Northrups said...

Every now and then I check out what's new with you cool people we've met in Temple, Texas :-) Kirsten Northrup. And I'm sorry you'll be gone more and that you're taking Madalyn's new friends with you :-(

Noel Green said...

To anonymous #3, yes, the sister and bro-in-law are indeed tremendous people!

Justin, I think this is one of those situations in which the 'right' thing to do was only decipherable by you and yours. And because you were guided by the Lord, make no apologies and praise Him for blessing you with the final decision.

Valisa said...

I dunno, that's a toughy. I can't imagine Aaron being gone every other day, but then again, Aaron doesn't travel regularly or work odd hours like you've been doing anyway, so I don't know how much different this is from what you were already doing. But, I know you and I know you won't plan on this being the norm forever, so I think you did what was best for this particular time and place. By the way, in regards to your post on my blog, it's set up to where Aaron can use it as often as he wants, and he even said he might write on it, but I wouldn't count on it. I would think it would end up being mostly me. However, I'll show him your comment and he'll get a kick out of it, and maybe that will motivate him to do some writing too!

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing.

Woody

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.