Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Blowing Smoke

Today is Earth Day. I don’t know who came up with it and don’t care enough to look it up. Sadly, it seems at this point in history, Earth Day is observed with more religious fervor than Christmas or Easter. Instead of just marketing and secularizing to get you to buy lots of junk, on this holyday they tell you to worship the planet by using less and buying their special junk to “save the planet”.

That makes me mad. Mad at the people who use this as a marketing tool and mad at the people (sorry if you are one) who fall for this nonsense.
Some things to think about:
* If an old man was standing on the corner at a busy intersection and I didn’t push him in front of a bus, I didn’t save him. I didn’t kill him, but I didn’t save him from being killed either. Get it?
*All of these Hollywood elitists preach to us about our carbon footprints, then they make a movie with lots of explosions. Well Mr. cLoony, the special effects for your movie put more carbon in the air than all of the miles my family and I will drive in a lifetime.
*Rush once pointed out the arrogance of those who say that people can destroy the planet. When you think about it, we are really pretty insignificant in the universe in that it is huge, we are a small planet in this universe, and we humans are outnumbered by all sorts of creatures. With that in mind, if you believe in the God of the Bible, believe that this place was created for us, and believe that He will destroy it when He gets good and ready; it takes a lot of arrogance to believe that we have the power to save or destroy the planet.
*A lot of tree huggers would chastise me for driving an older pick-up that only gets 14 mpg, rather than a hybrid. But think about all of the resources that were not used in building, transporting, and maintaining that hybrid that I didn’t buy.
I am not saying that we should be wasteful litterbugs. We should be good stewards of what the Lord has blessed us with, but we should not worship our blessings. Worship the One who provides them.

Carbon dioxide is a naturally occurring molecule. Plants love it. Uh-Oh. You probably just exhaled some. Better send AlGore a check.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your "smoke" just put me in a good mood! I agree.

The Northrups said...

I really like this entry. I've not really understood Earth Day and haven't really given it enough thought to explain why... thanks for doing it for me :-)

Anonymous said...

Justin-I'm really in to Earth Day and Earth First..We'll drill the other planets later !! they all need microbes...Later, Grandpa

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.