Friday, September 10, 2010

Rave On, Buddy

Buddy Holly’s birthday was a few days ago and one of our South Plains readers suggested that I use one of his hits for Song of the Week.  So here it is.
I was introduced to Buddy Holly when I was 12 or 13.  I don’t remember why it worked out this way, but I rode with my Uncle Clyde from San Angelo to Portales.  He had a tape of Buddy Holly’s greatest hits and we listened to it for several hours.  I liked it, and when I got back home I bought my own.  In fact, I still have that cassette copy and have listened to it recently (See Post from March 30, 2010). 

I didn’t know that Buddy Holly was from Lubbock until I moved there for college.  They have a Buddy Holly Avenue, a Buddy Holly Center, a museum, a festival, and there even used to be a bar and a baseball team called the Crickets, named for his band.  From what I’ve read, it seems that Lubbock didn’t really claim him until years after he was killed, but I guess that’s the way it is with a lot of famous people and the small towns they come from.

Maybe it is the same everywhere else, but Lubbock seems to have a strange relationship with its celebrities.  They love to use Buddy Holly’s name and image to promote the city, but I don’t ever remember hearing any of his music on local radio or in a restaurant.  They loved the fact that Natalie Maines was from there, until they found out that she didn’t like Lubbock or GeorgeW as much as they did.  And now, despite the great musical talents and contributions of the Dixie Chicks and the Maines Brothers Band, I don’t think there will ever be a Maines Avenue in the Hub City.  However, there is a Marsha Sharp Freeway, named for the bulldyke coach of the Lady Raiders basketball team.  In that ultra-conservative town, if you can lead a team to the national championship, they can close their eyes to a lot.  They hired and loved Bobby Knight who, although he’s a great basketball coach, isn’t exactly a pillar of Christian character. 

I’ll always love Lubbock.  I doubt they’ll ever name anything after me, but I don’t think they’ll ever disown me either.
I guess happiness was Lubbock, Texas in my rearview mirror. 
But now happiness is Lubbock, Texas growing nearer and dearer. 
-Mac Davis

No comments:

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.