Saturday, November 20, 2010

Twilight and Mist

I often pick the song of the week by choosing a song that has been stuck in my head.   Yesterday, the song "Twilight and Mist" was playing over and over in my mind.  I have to confess that I didn't know all the words and didn't even know the title of the song until I decided to use it as song of the week and did some research about it for this post.  But its music is beautiful and I often find myself humming its melody.

It is from the musical score of the movie Legends of the Fall which, after Lonesome Dove, ranks as #2 on my list of favorite movies.  From what I can gather, there is only one verse, and it was written expressly for the movie. That one verse captures the romantic struggle of the whole story though.  As the story unfolds, Susannah is loved by all three brothers, but never belongs solely to one of them, and none of them ever entirely belongs to her.
Twilight and Mist
Music by James Horner Lyrics by Brock Walsh
As evening fell, a maiden stood
At the edge of a wood.
In her hands lay the reins
Of a stallion.
And ne'er I'd seen a girl as fair,
Heard a gentler voice anywhere.
Whispered, "Alas..."
She belonged, belonged to another--
Another forever.
Yes, she belonged to
the twilight and mist.

No comments:

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.