Thursday, December 10, 2009

Here's to hoping for good son-in-laws

------------------
"WHY, THAT JUGHEADED MORON!!!"

I’ve heard my Grandaddy use those words when talking about weathermen, politicians, and people who own Mercury outboards. It made me laugh a lot when I was a kid and, for better or worse, I began to see if I could spot the jugheaded morons of the world at an early age.

The other day I heard Leslie get on to one of the girls for calling something or someone stupid. I understood her intention, but I asked her what word she would rather them use instead of stupid. No, I didn’t contradict her in front of the girls. That would be bad parenting. She said she didn’t know, but that she didn’t want them to use that word. Those of you who know my wife know that she doesn’t use nasty words like stupid, hate, idiot, etc…
I told her that I wanted my girls to recognize stupidity and idiots when they came across them and that I really didn’t mind them using those words if they learned to use them appropriately. And, yes, I do believe that they have appropriate uses.

I’ve heard a lot of people say a lot of poetic things about their hopes and dreams for their kids. Any of you remember that gay song about the watercolor ponies?
Well, I’ve written all of that to confess this: My most frequent prayer for my girls is that they don’t end up marrying jugheaded morons.
I guess it would be more tactful to pray, “Lord, let not my children be unequally yoked.”, but I believe the Lord knows an idiot when He sees one and I hope that He will help my daughters to recognize and steer clear of any that come their way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My granddaughters are beautiful inside and out. They are also very GT (smart, problem solvers, risk takers) I have the same prayer, Justin!

Anonymous said...

Okay so you make a very valid point. Your girls are beautiful and from what I've seen and heard about yours and Leslie's parenting, I don't think you have to worry about any jugheaded morons joining your family in the future. There are times when every parent can feel overwhelmed, but you two seem to have it all figured out! Keep up the good work and keep praying those same prayers. ;)

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.