Thursday, February 4, 2010

You don't have to call me darlin, darlin'.

I’ve been a blogging slacker and I apologize.

Things have picked up at work and I’m no longer in danger of being furloughed. In fact, they’ve recalled some guys that have been cut off for a year now. I’m still not holding the job that I’d prefer, but I’m working and thankful for it.

I’ve been working on the railroad for 6 years now. I know a lot of people still wonder why I went to work there in the first place and/or why I’m still there. Well, being so close to being out of a job made me think long and hard about it and some of the answers are……..
The pay and benefits are good.
Americana. I work for a company that is over 150 years old and was instrumental in the settlement of the Western part of our nation. I take pride in being a part of what keeps America moving.
I don’t sit inside all day everyday.
I don’t think I could handle the rut and routine of a Mon-Fri, 8-5 job. I know my schedule makes it difficult to plan things with other people, but it really works well for our family.
I get to fish, grocery shop, and run my errands during the week when everyone else is at work.
I don’t have to work with many women. You can be offended by that if you want to, but I believe that it makes my days less stressful than they would be otherwise and makes me better appreciate the company of my wife when I’m home.
I wear what I want.
I get to work on and around trains. I’m not a rail enthusiast or anything, but what little boy wouldn’t get excited if you told him that when he grew up he would get to work on the railroad, ringing the bell, blowing the horn, driving a train?

So this week’s song is Steve Goodman’s “City of New Orleans” performed by Willie and the Highwaymen. Yes, THAT Steve Goodman from the line “A friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song."  He not only wrote the perfect country and western song, he also wrote the perfect railroad song.

1 comment:

LisaN said...

I think Dave would have some of these exact reasons on his list of why he works shift work for the National Weather Service! :-)

P.S. We need a pic of Leslie's baby belly here sometime. I am a big fan of more pictures of Leslie on this blog!

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.